This recipe is so easy and makes a delicious fruity, fresh and light ice cream!
This ice cream doesn’t actually need any cream, and only a little sugar. And with just a handful of plums and two egg whites you can serve 4-6 people for dessert.
This recipe will also work with pretty much any summer fruits – try it with raspberries, blueberries, strawberries or a mixture!
If you’re pushed for time you can serve it straight away as a morish mousse – or pop in the freezer for a couple of hours for a semi-fredo.
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes, followed by 10-15minutes of electric whisking
Cooking time: none
Chilling time: a couple of hours in the fridge for a mousse, 3-4 hours in the freezer for an ice fream
Difficulty: easy peasy
Serves: makes 6 large dessert cups of mousse
Calories per serving: around 100-150 calories, add another 100 for toppings (e.g. walnuts/honey) if you choose to use them
4-6 nice and juicy medium-large plums – remove the stone and chop roughly
5-10 teaspoons of sugar (you can vary this according to personal taste)
2 egg whites
1) Blitz the plums in a food processor until smooth
2) Use and electric whisk to whisk the egg whites
3) Add around 5 tsp sugar and all the plums, continue to whisk for 5-10 mins. Your two egg whites and plum will continue to expand to fill a rather large bowl. Taste and as sugar little by little as necessary.
4) Pop it in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours. It freezes quickly, and without whisking again maintains a light and easily scoopable texture.
4) Top with some crush walnuts, raisins and a teensy bit of honey before serving
Failing that, just scoop if out of the tub and eat!